The last few weeks of my semester have been crazy. I’ve been non stop go-go-go-ing and fighting hard to keep up with all of my work and all of my finals. I am proud to say that I have survived and have officially made it to winter break. But, before I fly home and leave California behind, I wanted to take a moment to think about how lucky I am to be learning and growing every day. I feel so unbelievably privileged to be studying what I love and working on projects that I care about. I feel like I am contributing something important, and that knowledge has been an incredible motivator. So before I go on vacation, here’s a little list of things to look forward to next semester:
- My Art History thesis! I wrote the first of three chapters this semester and it has gotten me so excited about writing the rest. I am looking at the re-photography of Richard Prince and using Lacan’s and Zizek’s theories to explore how the male gaze functions in his work. I have a lot of respect and admiration for Prince’s appropriation techniques, but was shocked by how few critics were addressing this issue of possessing women’s bodies. (So please bear with me if these posts discuss Prince a disproportionate amount. It’s basically on my brain constantly. I’m sorry and you’re welcome.)
- I have a new job next semester doing community outreach and content creation for The Campaign For Scripps College. I am obsessed with my school so having the opportunity to help further its development is a complete dream come true. We are entering phase two of the campaign, which means a bigger push on social media and more consistent updates on the microsite. I will be helping to devise and then implement an effective strategy for this. My goal is to make all of our community as thrilled and excited as I am about Scripps’ future. This is the most ambitious campaign in the history of the school and I am so jazzed to be a part of it!
- I AM THAT GIRL stuff has been heating up this semester and we have a couple of incredible videos planned for the Spring. Who knew when we started this chapter a couple months ago, how successful it would be?! Love these girls and this organization!
- This is not set in stone yet, but I may be doing a kick ass independent study next semester. If all goes according to plan, I will be making art and organizing an exhibition in The Motley next semester. Keep it on the DL for now, but hopefully there will be much more about this later. Fingers crossed!
- Last but not least, I have another new job next semester as a research assistant to Professor Mark Andrejevic. He taught my Media and Surveillance class this semester and is a complete genius. I am so excited to learn more from him and to further explore a really important aspect of digital media studies. Online privacy and data collection is a very real but rarely discussed part of using the internet. Most users don’t seem to understand or care how their personal information is being used. I am super proud to be working on a research project which explores these issues.
Lots of fun stuff in store for 2015! But first, it’s time for a much needed vacation!
Seattle, here I come!
(Image from the Scripps College photo archives)