Life is most fun when you are doing things you love and trying things that scare you. This spring I am attempting to fill my time with all of the things that keep me happy and inspired, only taking on new projects that I feel truly passionate about. Obviously we all have to do things we don’t want to do which is a huge part of being a student and human being. I totally get that. But it is so easy to get stuck doing things you used to enjoy without fully realizing that they just aren’t doing it for you anymore. I’ve been returning to some of my past passions and trying out a lot of new ones and it’s keeping me super busy! Here are a couple things I’ve been working on
1. I got the official go-ahead on the Media Production Independent Study I’ve been planning which means that I am finally able to get started! I am reading this awesome book on Appropriation Art and am getting super pumped for my first project. I am exploring exploitation in appropriation through four hands-on production projects and I think it’s going to be really cool. (More on this later…)
2. I’ve also been going to a bunch of lectures and speaker series offered on campus. I always hear about the incredible people coming to speak but it is all-too-rare for me to make it to the events themselves. This is one of my huge goals the semester and so far it’s been pretty inspiring. Just yesterday I heard a talk from the brilliant Peggy Phelan on digital self-portraits and earlier in the week the Guerrilla Girls gave a lecture on their particular brand of art activism. So cool!
3. I’ve been trying to get as much Vitamin D as possible. I love the Southern California weather and am making pool time a priority. It does wonders for my mental health and is an excellent indulgence.
4. Our local chapter of I AM THAT GIRL had our first event last week and it was a raging success. It was a TEDx style student speaker series where students shared what they are passionate about and answered the question “Where Do We Go From Here?” I was filming the event which was a fun challenge and offered a unique perspective. We had a packed house and were even featured in The Scripps Voice.
5. I’m redecorating my room a little bit which has been fun. I have way too much wall space in this tiny room and finding creative ways to break up the space has been a neat little side project. I’m not sure I’ll ever actually be done tweaking things and moving things around…
6. IT IS OFFICIALLY 100 DAYS UNTILL GRADUATION! I am a member of the Senior Class Gift Committee at Scripps and have been working hard to make this event happen. It was a little bit of a frustrating process but I am relieved to say that everything came together and we all had a lot of fun. Let the countdown begin…